Dr. Raymond Ko
Urologist and Surgeon
Specializes in minimally invasive stone surgery, including retrograde intrarenal surgery (ureteroscopy and flexible pyelo- ureteroscopy), percutaneous nephrolithotomy (including mini-PERC), laser stone surgery, and extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL).
Dr Ko is an established Urologist and Surgeon with a busy practice specializing in the minimally invasive treatment of kidney and ureteric stones.
He has carried out over 2500 cases in Australia using various minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Dr Ko also provides treatment for complex stone cases referred to him by other Urologists across Sydney and regional New South Wales.
He is also a strong patient advocate for stone prevention strategies through lifestyle, dietary modification, and appropriate medical therapies.
- Supervisor of Urology Training Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Nepean Hospital, Sydney since 2008
- Supervisor of Junior Accredited Urology Trainees in NSW, Board of Urology NSW Section, Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, Macquarie University Hospital
Current Hospital Appointments
Dr Ko has appointments at two major teaching hospitals in Sydney, and has teaching and supervisory roles at both institutions, where he is closely involved in the training of future Urologists.
He is the current Supervisor of Training in Urology at Nepean Hospital (2008-onwards), and is a Visiting Consultant Surgeon at Concord General Hospital.
- Concord General Hospital
- Nepean Hospital
- Nepean Private Hospital
- Norwest Private Hospital
- Macquarie University Hospital
- Westmead Private Hospital
Medical Board of Australia
Registration No.: MED0001170959
Dr Ko graduated in Medicine with First Class Honours from The University of Sydney, and was awarded The Robert Craig Prize in Surgery upon graduation.
He obtained Specialist qualifications in General Urology from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
He spent another two years training specifically in laser stone treatment and minimally invasive kidney stone surgery in Canada under the direction of Professors John Denstedt and Hassan Razvi, who are two of the leading experts in the field of Endourology.
Dr Ko is one of only a few urologists’ in Australia to be accredited by the Endourological Society for having met the requirements for the treatment of bladder, ureteric and kidney stone disease.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
- First Class Honours (1995)
- The University of Sydney
- Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in Urology (2007)
- Endourological Society Fellow (2007)
- Fellowship in Endourology, Laparoscopy and Robotic Surgery University of Western Ontario, London, Canada (2006-2007)
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, Macquarie University 2011
Honours, Distinctions and Awards
Dr Ko has recieved major international awards for his scientific research on the treatment of kidney stones.
As a result of his findings the Western University and the Lawson Research Institute in Canada received grants from the United States government of over US$500,000 to further develop this research.
1994The Robert Craig Undergraduate Prize in Surgery
The University of Sydney, NSW
1995Graduation with First Class Honours in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB, BS Hons 1)
The University of Sydney, NSW
1995The Johnson and Johnson Ethicon Prize for Best Poster
The Annual Registrars’ Scientific Meeting: RACS (NSW) State Committee, Sydney, NSW
2002The Christopher Richard Farrell Prize for Best Urology Registrar Presentation
NSW Section of the Urological Society of Australasia, Bowral, NSW
20071st Prize in The Annual Endourological Society Essay Contest-Best Research Paper
Endourological Society and Journal of Endourology
World Congress Endourology, Cancun, Mexico
20081st Prize, New Investigator’s Award
Society for Infection and Inflammation in Urology
The 103rd American Urological Association Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, USA
2008The Alban Gee Prize for Best Scientific Research Poster Presentation
The 61st Annual Scientific Meeting of The Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand, Hong Kong, China
FellowRoyal Australasian College of Surgeons
MemberUrological Society Australia and New Zealand
MemberAmerican Urological Association Fellow
MemberThe Endourological Society
Selected Invited Speaker Roles
- Novel uropathogen-resistant coatings inspired by marine mussels
th World Congress of Endourology Annual Meeting
Cancun, Mexico, Nov 2007
- Plenary Session Podium Presentation- 1st Prize in Basic Science Research (Endourological Society)
- Point-Counterpoint Debate: The upper tract stone
The Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (New South Wales Section) Annual Scientific Meeting
Sydney, Australia, Nov 2011
- A paradigm shift: single-use digital flexible ureteroscopy
Co-convenors: Professor Damian Bolton and Dr Raymond Ko
The 69th Annual Scientific Meeting of The Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand,
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
16th April 2016
Invited Journal Reviewer
Dr Ko has served as an invited journal reviewer for the following publications:
- Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery
- British Journal of Urology International
- Cochrane Renal Group
Selected Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
Dr Ko is a prolific writer and his articles on the techniques relating to minimally invasive treatments of kidney stones have been published in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Ko R, Woo K, Ramanathan T, Pautler SE, McConahie I
Robotic Surgery and Anaesthesia
CPD Anaesthesia, 2007; 9(2): 99-108
- Lim DL, Ko R, Pautler SE
Current Understanding of the Molecular Mechanisms of Kidney Cancer: A Primer for Urologists
Canadian Urology Association Journal, 2007; 1(2 Suppl): S13- 20
- Ko R, Duvdevani M, Denstedt JD
Antegrade percutaneous endopyelotomy
Current Urology Reports. 2007; 8(2): 128-33.
- Ko R, Razvi H
C-arm Laser Positioning Device to Facilitate Percutaneous Renal Access
Urology, 2007; 70: 360-61
- Ko R, Chew BH, Hickling DR, Razvi H, Luke PP,Chin JL, Izawa JI, Pautler SE.
Transitional cell carcinoma recurrence rate following nephroureterectomy in patients who undergo open excision of bladder cuff versus transurethral incision of ureteral orifice
Journal of Endourology, 2007; 21(7): 730-34
- Ko R, Chew BH, Tan AH, Rowe E, Razvi HA
Thermal and histologic tissue effects of bipolar versus monopolar surgical resection of the prostate in a canine model
Photonic Therapeutics and Diagnostics III,
Reza S Malek (Editor),
Proceedings of SPIE, 2007; 6424: 64240Y
- Ko R, Soucy F, Denstedt JD, Razvi H
Percutaneous nephrolithotomy made easier: a practical guide,tips and tricks
British Journal of Urology International, 2008; 101: 535-9
- Ko R, Cadieux PA, Dalsin JL, Lee BP, Elwood C, Razvi H
st Prize: Novel uropathogen-resistant coatings inspired by marine mussels
Journal of Endourology, 2008; 22: 1153-60
- Awarded: -1st Prize for Best Research Paper in The Annual Endourological Society Essay Contest
- Yuhico M, Ko R
The current status of percutaneous nephrolithotomy in themanagement of kidney stones
Minerva Urologica e Nephrologica, 2008; 60: 159-75
- Soucy F, Ko R, Denstedt, Ko R
Occupational noise exposure during endourological procedures
Journal of Endourology, 2008; 22 :1609-11
- Duvdevani M, Nott L, Ray A, Ko R, Denstedt JD, Razvi H
Percutaneous nephrolithotripsy in patients with diabetes mellitus
Journal of Endourology, 2009; 3: 21-6
- Pechey A, Elwood CN, Wignall GR, Dalsin JL, Lee BP, Vanjecek M, Welch I, Ko R,Razvi H, Cadieux PA
Anti-adhesive coating and clearance of device-associated uropathogenic Escherichia coli cystitis
Journal of Urology, 2009; 182: 1628-36
- Ko R, Tan AH, Chew BH, Rowe PE, Razvi H
Comparison of the thermal and histopathological effects of bipolar and monopolar electrosurgical resection of the prostate in a canine model
British Journal of Urology International, 2010; 105(9): 1314-7
- Ahmadi N, Tran M, Elms M and Ko R
Knotted proximal loop of ureteric stents: Review of the literature and five case reports
Journal of Clinical Urology
DOI: 10.1177/2051415814532810 published online 8 May 2014